I had the amazing privilege to hear Linda Ronstadt share her life story @ WCU’s speaker series. I feel so fortunate to have so many opportunities being close to WCU.
Linda reinforced this Life Lesson for me:
Keep learning, trying something new, and staying positive!
From Rock N Roll to Country to Opera on Broadway to Mexican Music to writing her book Simple Dreams, she was always exploring and trying something new. While she had so many hits singing Rock N Roll, she was always ready for a new challenge. And even now that she is not able to sing due to Parkinson’s, she focuses on the positive and how she can give back.
This is an important lesson for all of us!
Many of my coaching clients resist change because they have always done it that way or an unexplored fear is holding them back.
What you discover when you try a new process or procedure in your business or personal life, you will get a new and improved or streamlined result.
What is the overused cliché definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
It’s not easy to form new habits so try something new. Here are 10 simple ways for you to discover and develop new habits and skills:
- Take a class to learn a new skill or explore an area of curiosity
- Engage an accountability partner to question and challenge you
- Research areas of interest for your next career move
- Start a conversation with someone new in your field of interest
- Schedule an informational interview with a person you admire
- Volunteer for a non-profit or charity that interests you
- Write a blog post about something you are passionate about
- Read a book by someone you want to emulate
- Re-connect to a hobby or activity you enjoyed at a young age
- Join an intramural sports team or a gym or try a new routine
Experience is the greatest way to learn, so keep learning, trying new things, and staying positive!
This is my favorite of Linda’s many hit songs: Long, Long Time.